Friday, December 17, 2010

Hydroponics setup

This is a diagram of my hydroponics setup.




Photobucket


This is what is called a deep water culture system.  A net pot filled with expanded clay balls sits in about an inch of nutrient solution.  The air stone below supplies oxygen to roots.  Capillary action draws water up though the expanded clay.  Roots from the plant will grow and sit directly in the nutrient solution.  My setup uses a 3 gallon plastic buck from Lowes.  Two holes are cut in the lid.  One for a 5" net pot and the other for a fill hole.  Most systems don't have a fill hole but I put one on so I could draw out nutrient solution to test pH without removing the lid or disturbing the plant.  The sight glass on the side allows me to see what level the nutrient solution is at.  It is made from some pvc fittings and 1/2 ID clear tubing.  A drain is on the other side which allows me to remove the nutrient solution before removing the lid to clean out the bucket.  It is not necessary but makes it easier to move.  The air stone is held in the center of the bucket with silicon.  In the near future I will post a step by step on how to build and a complete list of parts.

Air stone at the bottom of the bucket.


Photobucket


The air stone in action.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment