Tuesday, December 21, 2010

5x5 LED grow light problems

Twice now the Blue LEDs have burnt out.  The first time I had figured the out that I used 30 mA instead of 20 mA when calculating the size of resistor needed.  At 30 mA the LEDs called for a 270 ohm resistor and at 20 mA a 330 ohm was required.  I figured I had burnt them out with to many volts going through them.  So a 330 ohm resistor was used when I soldered in new blue LEDs.

Photobucket


The corrected parameters also lowered the mA to 200 and the mW to 2477.  But 4 days later they burnt out again.  These LEDs were bought from ledshoppe.com and cost $7 for 100.  This is a good example of you get what you pay for.  I could every 3-4 days solder in new LEDs but for now I am going to leave them out til I can order some others.

Photobucket


After 7 days of being in the hydroponic setup you can see significant growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment